• March 29, 2024, 15:37:24 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Monk vs Barb balance  (Read 14072 times)

Wittster

• Honorary Member
  • Iskatu
  • Alexwitt
    • View Profile
Monk vs Barb balance
« on: April 06, 2013, 00:24:06 am »

Currently under 1.26 rules the hardest matchup for monks I would say. To me it simply seems impossible to beat a top barb as a monk but I'm fairly inexperienced duelling barbs so I'm interested what the more seasoned players have to say in this regard and whether or not any rules changes are needed to balance this even a tiny bit more. Ofcourse changing rules is a last resort and I think up to a 70% edge for barbs is acceptable, but if it's more than that, perhaps we should balance it in some way.

Discuss!

ricebowl

• Iskatu
    • View Profile
Re: Monk vs Barb balance
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:31:53 am »

At extremely high gear levels, I'm pretty sure barbs just stomp monks.  It's just a matter of a gear check or getting really lucky with crits.

The issue is that barbs can stack 100% defensive skills and gear which, along with high regen and sprint, lets them drag the duel out for as long as they want against monks.  Monks cannot do the same and hope to win.  So, monks have to focus on pure damage output.  And of course, it just becomes an issue of gear at this point.

Barb defensive scaling can get to really insane amounts.  That's just the way the class is designed - everything scales by percentages.

ricebowl

• Iskatu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 03:38:56 am »

I'm hesitant to suggest any rules because it seems to me the overall balance of monk vs barb is actually quite stable when factoring in players from all gear budgets.  I do think their defense outscales monk damage greatly at very high gear levels if they spec properly.  However, you can't make blanket rules for an entire matchup based off of one gear bracket.

N0F3aR

• Kabraxis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 03:52:05 am »

Ask Tomas if he has "mega" problems with barbs. And Sin. Since Tomas can kill and beat every barb in EU server, no balance is needed. Even when barb is high ended geared, high ended geared monk can kill him. If you have some problems - contact  Tomas. Maybe he will help you. Cuz monk vs barb is balanced fight. When gear is similar, you need to outplay the other opponent. What you say here in this topic is not true. You just didnt found the correct way if you think that this is true.
   But ofc, you can now nurf barb against monk as well against dh and wizard. Why not? Barbs are OP, Mega Imba, SO powerfull, they need to be nurfed into the ground. I bet soon some will ask " Pls, ban barb's mainhand weapon(2hander), his rend 1 shoot me, pls, im on 50k life with 300 resist and he plays better than me, pls lets at least he cant hurt me"
   I have 1 question - do you know how hard is for barbs to find decent pieces for PVP? Cuz is not i have gold ill get the item. 2-3 decent items per mounth are on ah. Needs not only gold, but time for searching the right item.

ricebowl

• Iskatu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:01:30 am »

Ask Tomas if he has "mega" problems with barbs. And Sin. Since Tomas can kill and beat every barb in EU server, no balance is needed. Even when barb is high ended geared, high ended geared monk can kill him. If you have some problems - contact  Tomas. Maybe he will help you. Cuz monk vs barb is balanced fight. When gear is similar, you need to outplay the other opponent. What you say here in this topic is not true. You just didnt found the correct way if you think that this is true.
   But ofc, you can now nurf barb against monk as well against dh and wizard. Why not? Barbs are OP, Mega Imba, SO powerfull, they need to be nurfed into the ground. I bet soon some will ask " Pls, ban barb's mainhand weapon(2hander), his rend 1 shoot me, pls, im on 50k life with 300 resist and he plays better than me, pls lets at least he cant hurt me"
   I have 1 question - do you know how hard is for barbs to find decent pieces for PVP? Cuz is not i have gold ill get the item. 2-3 decent items per mounth are on ah. Needs not only gold, but time for searching the right item.

TLDR: I'm too dumb to give a real response discussing actual balance and instead just throw out anecdotes with a dash of sarcasm in the middle and a hint of victimization at the end.

Wittster

• Honorary Member
  • Iskatu
  • Alexwitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 04:06:50 am »

Cool story Nofear, so the matchup is balanced because barbs have a hard time finding gear. Perhaps you should switch over to Monk. Monk gear is dirt cheap and easy to find and then you can stomp all the barbs that you're losing to at the moment.

Agree with Rice's assessment, it's a scaling problem, hard to solve.

Iria

• Iskatu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:24:26 am »

Ask Viri for tips. Viri can beat EVERY barb in US except for MannerCookie, but MannerCookie isn't a barb so he doesn't count, he's a cookiemonster.

link1313

• Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:38 am »

1 shot blue bell build would solve the problem or as iria discussed stack physical resist gear like Viri does.

Wittster

• Honorary Member
  • Iskatu
  • Alexwitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 04:38:14 am »

I really doubt Viri can beat Tbone and Zee, why don't these godly monks play league so we can see some facts instead of only rumors.

link1313

• Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 04:42:49 am »

I really doubt Viri can beat Tbone and Zee, why don't these godly monks play league so we can see some facts instead of only rumors.
i stacked all physical resist gear and barely any all res to beat zee and tbone. viri has figured it out you should too

Wittster

• Honorary Member
  • Iskatu
  • Alexwitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 04:55:51 am »

i stacked all physical resist gear and barely any all res to beat zee and tbone. viri has figured it out you should too

Yeah maybe that works, WHEN YOU'RE A BARB YOURSELF. Viri can stack high resists because he swaps to double lpss/sp/s weapons and spams mantra to outheal some of the dot ticks. League monks can't weaponswap and have no way to outheal a crit rend, even when stacking resists, all we can do is go full dps.

ricebowl

• Iskatu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 19:42:18 pm »

Yeah maybe that works, WHEN YOU'RE A BARB YOURSELF. Viri can stack high resists because he swaps to double lpss/sp/s weapons and spams mantra to outheal some of the dot ticks. League monks can't weaponswap and have no way to outheal a crit rend, even when stacking resists, all we can do is go full dps.

I can vouch for Viri gear swapping like a madman when I dueled him.

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip
Diablo 3 PvP, Diablo 3 PvP

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 18 queries.