• March 29, 2024, 12:25:44 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Saltydog's Wizard PvP Guide  (Read 14397 times)

Saltydog

• Imp
    • View Profile
Saltydog's Wizard PvP Guide
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:27:10 am »

Saltydog Montage 1

- The Basis of a PvP Wizard -

A Wizard is arguably one of the weakest PvP Classes but there are many things that we can do to improve our skills. First of all we need to understand how our spells work. Ray of Frost is the only decent Wizard Spell that requires a good amount of Attack Speed. The rest of the Wizard Spells such as Wave of Force, Teleport, Blizzard, and Storm Armor all rely on your Damage Per Hit. It is the general concensus that a 2H weapon is the end game Wizard weapon in PvP. Due to the Wizards low damage Spells we must play patient and use our evasive features to our advantage. To maintain health during a long battle the best addition a Wizard can have is Extra Health to Potions. This gives us essentially a 3rd life after Unstable Anamoly. With Patience, Skill, Terrain usage, and the Correct Gear a Wizard can do very well in PvP.

The Golden Rule of Wizard - (DPH = DPS/IAS)

- Basic Spells -

- Ray of Frost - Does huge DPS and is very good for slowing the Enemy.
     Good Runes - Numb, Snow Blast, Cold Blooded, Sleet Storm.

- Blizzard- Scales only from DPH so a must for a 2h Wizard. Great crowd control, our only "DOT", and does not require channeling (stand still and die).
     Good runes- Stark Winter and Grasping Chill.

- Wave of Force - Does NOT dodge, so it is mandatory vs DH. I use it vs all matchups.
     Good runes- Impactful, Force Affinity, Forceful Wave.

- Teleport - Huge dmg, can be used to evasion.
     Good Runes - Calamity is a must vs all but Monk, vs Monk Wormhole or Reversal.

- Mirror Image - A MUST, cancels DOT. Can be used as a wall (Duplicates) and is very good at confusing the enemy.
     Good runes - Duplicates (Wiz, DH), Mocking Demise (Monk), Mirror Mimics (if using Wof or Frost Nova).

- Storm Armour - A great additional damage skill which give us that extra damage (and Move Speed with Rune)
     SCRAMBLE Always! Always! No exceptions. 25% Extra Movespeed is INVALUABLE.

- Basic Passives -

- Illusionist - A must have for any DH, HOTA Barb, Monk, Wiz, or Spirit Barrage WD.
     Simply restores your Teleport and Mirror Image allowing you to cancel DOT's and Teleport away or onto them for damage.

- Critical Mass - Can be used very well with Ray of Frost.
     Restores the Cooldown of Frost Nova and Mirror Image most notably versus a High EHP Rend Barb.

- Cold Blooded - 20% more Damage with your Cold Spells.
     Really gives Blizzard and Ray of Frost that extra bit of Damage which Wizards need.

- Glass Cannon - Great Passive for extra Damage when not using a Cold Spell.
     I use this with Mines and it really gives them the extra kick they need.

- Unstable Anomoly - Restores like to 45% on Fatal Blow.
     Absolutely Mandatory. It's our 2nd life!

- Matchups -

All of the videos posted are trying to show either how to play the specific skill set (Mines) or how to explicity use the terrain to avoid attacks and deal damage. Make sure to hit that 1080p Button the quality is very poor in 360p!

- Wizard vs Witch Doctor -

By far the toughest matchup. One mistake, one wrong mirror image and you are toast. I simply play a spam Blizz game and wait for opportunities for Tele/WOF and avoid the little piggy shaman. If he Spirit walks (goes invisible) Run like a bitch instantly. He is 90% of the time going to try and plant hex at your feet. Just run in one direction as far as you can go. He will reappear and at this time blizzard and Tele/Wof onto him.

- Wave of Force - Force Affinity
     - Blizzard - Stark Winter
     - Teleport - Calamity
     - Mirror Images - Mirror Mimics
     - Storm Armour - Scramble
     - Magic Weapon - Force Weapon
     - Passives, Illusionist, Cold Blooded, Unstable Anatomy.

- Wizard vs Barbarian -

There are many builds. Double disable, Ranged, +ROF 1h stuff. Very tanky low ias? Probably Double disable. If you can get enough base dmg you can play a Mine Build. I will try and post some vods of great barb matches. I use a stacked mine build and try to knock the barb into them with Tele/Wof.

- Arcane Torrent - Arcane Mines
     - Wave of Force - Impactful
     - Teleport - Calamity
     - Mirror Images - Mirror Mimics
     - Passives, Illusionist, Glass Cannon, Unstable Anatomy.

- Wizard vs Monk -

My least favorite matchup. Blizz around a pole and pray. If the monk attacks, run. If the monk runs, attack. Monk is all timing dependent and if they get a good stun on you, you are surely dead. Be wary of bells, they can attack through walls. So take that into account.

- Arcane Torrent - Arcane Mines
     - Teleport - Wormhole
     - Mirror Images - Mocking Demise

- Wizard vs Demon Hunter -

This is my favorite matchup. Spam that blizzard and use large obstacles to block attacks. Let storm and blizz do the damage. Teleport instant WOF can be lucky vs a dh but can be scary vs a good dh. Mirror images should be spammed as often as possible to create shields from Impales and Rapid Fire. If he uses rapid fire, let him attack while you hide behind a pillar, wait for him to come close to running out of hatred and then Tele/Wof. You should take note of his resources and what max disc he has. If he runs, he is likely low on Disc and you should Blizz him.

- Wave of Force - Forceful Wave
     - Teleport - Calamity
     - Mirror Images - Duplicates

- Wizard vs Wizard -

This is actually one of my least favorite matchups because it's a game of who can get a Crit Tele or Crit Storm. Hold south and wait for the Wizard to come looking for you. Cover him with Blizzard and Tele onto him. If his Unstable has popped then it will be easy to finish the kill. If not then find cover play smart, Blizzard will easily kill him from afar with minimal risk.

- Wave of Force - Forceful Wave
     - Teleport - Calamity
     - Mirror Images - Duplicates

- Best In Slots (IMO) -

Weapons-
    - Doom Hammer - 1400 Average Black DMG, 350 Int, 150 Vit, 180CD, Socket.
    - Skorn - 1425 Average DMG, 500 Int, 150 Vit, 180 CD, Socket.
     - Echoing Fury - 1250 DMG, 160 Int, 60 CD, Socket.
     - Rare Mace/Spear - 1200 DMG, 100 Int, 100 Vit, 60 CD, Socket.
     - Triumvirate - 100-400 DMG, 250 Int, 100 Vit, 8CC.

Shoulders-
     - Vile Ward - 260 Int, 70 Vit, 10% Life.
     - Crafted - 260 Int, 100 vit, 10%, Life Armor or Strength, and if Lucky Extra Health to Potions.

Gloves-
     - Rare gloves. CC, CD, Allres, Int, Vit. If you get lucky grab pot.

Rings-
     - Litany of the Undaunted - Either EHP (12% Life) Balanced (250 Int 100 Vit), or DMG (4.5CC/50CD).
     - Zunimassa's Pox - 5 CC, 30 CD, large Int, Vit, Life %. Many good variations of Pox's.

Boots-
     - Zunimassa's Trail - 180 Int, 80 Vit, 60 Allres, 9000+ to Potions.
     - Ice Climbers - 260 Int, 80 Vit, 12% Move Speed.

Pants-
     - BT Pants - 290 Vit, 90 Int 70 All res.
     - Rare Pants - 150 Int, 250 Vit, 60 All res, 300 Armor, 2 Sockets.

Chest-
     - Zunimassa's Marrow - 180 Int, 270 Vit, (Life%, Elite%, or Pot Bonus).

Belt-
     - BT Belt - 280 Int, 80 Vit, All res.
     - The Witching Hour - Many good variants. I recommend Allres, Pot, and Armor with 90 Int.

Helm-
     - Tal Rasha's Guise of Wisdom - 180 Int, 70 All res, 12000+ Potion, 6CC. Or 280 Int, 80 Vit, 70 All res, 6CC.

Amulet-
     - Tal Rasha's Allegiance - 6%, 275 Int, 275 Vit 8CC/65CD.
     - Crafted Amulet with similar stats and All res or Armor.

Bracers-
     - Lacuni Prowlers - Mandatory IMO for the Move Speed. 80 Int, 80 Vit, 60 Allres, 4CC.

- Terrain and Techniques -

One of the biggest things that Wizards must use is the Terrain to be able to defend ourselves from attacks. Some general positions I will depict in pictures below.

"Home Base"
This spot is where I kite and watch for enemies running South. This picture depicts the three lanes where enemies will run looking for you. You should immediately Blizzard them and start kiting them around the Graveyard.

The "Stripper Poles"
]
These are the best Stripper Poles on the map which are great areas to block Impales or Rapid Fire and allow you to peek out and cast Blizzard.

Stripper "Walls"
These are great locations however can let the opponent take the South position and gain a huge advantage. Use these areas for cover until you can safely make your way and take South.

Hidden Mine Locations
These are the spots which I stack hidden Arcane Mines and try to lure the enemy to walk into the stack.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:44:53 am by Saltydog »

Saltydog

• Imp
    • View Profile
Re: Saltydog's Wizard PvP Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:33:46 am »

Updated.

Spirals

• Forsaken
  • D3CL Administrator
  • Rakanoth
  • Xpk
    • View Profile
Re: Saltydog's Wizard PvP Guide
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:16:11 am »

looks very nice Saltydog, thorough build - thanks for posting.
We turn desire to fire, electric sparks to the wire
Highered the stakes when we bought this monster life
Prevail by daring to fail, others content just to sail
Hail the future we bring.

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip
Diablo 3 PvP, Diablo 3 PvP

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.