• March 28, 2024, 23:24:03 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nostalgic thread - write down your Diablo story ;)  (Read 15107 times)

RoGH

• Gotrek Gurnisson
  • D3CL Administrator
  • Lucion
  • nC
    • View Profile
Nostalgic thread - write down your Diablo story ;)
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:13:06 am »

Share here your memories regarding your adventure with Diablo. Im too shy and too humble to start, but feel free to begin ;)

Spirals

• Forsaken
  • D3CL Administrator
  • Rakanoth
  • Xpk
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic thread - write down your Diablo story ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 22:51:03 pm »

here's my story:
been there, done that  ;)

nah, it's way to much to write down and I cannot believe anyone would be interested in that.
But: topic starter should kick off his own thread, so let's hear yours!
We turn desire to fire, electric sparks to the wire
Highered the stakes when we bought this monster life
Prevail by daring to fail, others content just to sail
Hail the future we bring.

Mr.Mag

• The Lord of Sparrowhawks
  • Administrator
  • Baal
    • View Profile
    • Diablo 3 PvP
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 23:26:46 pm »

I think thats one of the most well-remembered moments in my D1 history... first and also last interclan tournament on D1 (there were only clan wars, not tournament as it is now)

Date: 2000-02-11
Starting players :

DM: Quadron, Nega, Hades, Mojzesz, Kimmijiki
IQ: Mr.Grzyb, Mroczny, Cygan, Azmodan, Parn
SoD: Mr.Mag, Qpack, Snake, Rafineria, Gradonis
ZA: Avenger, Khamul, Blyskawica, Zeus, Gotrek

And the winner is...

1. @Mr.Mag-!-^SoD
2. @Qpack^SOD
3. Blyskawica(ZA)

:D

Rogh, i've got a lot of historical materials on hdd. It would be nice to process all this things and put into www. a lot of work to do :(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 23:35:18 pm by Mr.Mag »

Undek

• Kabraxis
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:32:35 am »

I got hard way to play D2. I played D1 before D2 was released, but not very much. A.D. 2000 I got demo version of Diablo II (from some magazine like Gambler or CD-Action), and it was love from first meet. I leveled my barb to about 18 lvl which was really hard, cause in demo version you've got only first location and cementery.

Then I have full pirate version on some very old cd and when I say "old" I mean it was in not really great condition.
Opening game looked like this:
1. For patient: try to open game and wait 30 min for it.
2. Another way: put disc into cd-rom, launch game, open cd-rom and take disc, wait about 2 mins to get error message (there is no disc in cd-rom), click okay, click okay again and this is it!

Another thing is that we shared cd-key with other people, so me and my brother woke up 6;30 am (when mother was going to work) and the game was on to the 12 pm, so no one other could log in.
Anyway, my first work was for buying original version of D2 and I was about 8-9 years old I guess (started playing DII when I was before my 8th birthday). It was easy job, checking which screw is good or bad. It was also awful cause there was thousands of them and I had dreams about it for the next year..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:34:29 am by Undek »

RoGH

• Gotrek Gurnisson
  • D3CL Administrator
  • Lucion
  • nC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 15:16:44 pm »

here's my story:
been there, done that  ;)

nah, it's way to much to write down and I cannot believe anyone would be interested in that.
But: topic starter should kick off his own thread, so let's hear yours!

Damn...
My story starts somewhere between 1997 and 1998 on Diablo 1 Battle.net. I used to play there together with my neighbour, our bills were huuuuuge :D I was playing warrior and took a part in probably the biggest clanwar in d1 history: True Heroes vs Hell Warriors, hundreds of players in both clans, thousands of ears ;) With the beggining of d2 i finally had righteous internet and was ready to roll on CBN right from the start. Many clans, many tournaments on BNPL, D2CL and EP too during 2000-2003 years.

Autumn 2003 changed it all. 1.10 patch made huge impact on polish pvp scene. Most of us moved to private pvp realm - Angrenost. Realm still exists, but we will be closing it soon, due to Diablo 3 release. Some of us were playing there for ~8 years, so was i, later becoming an admin and succesfully participating in many tournaments.

I also came back on CBN after few months ( autumn 2004 probably ), just on time to see beggining of Polish Clan League, i joined in with few of my Angrenost friends and so the CBN saga started once more :) I became an referee and admin there too, won some tours, wrote a decent guide for barbarian and quit playing somewhere in 2009.
Through all this time i was also an active member of polish-hc scene, played on EP and GM rules too, especially in old days, 2004-2006 :)

Right now im looking forward to May 15th, together with my clan m8 from Hell Warriors ( http://hellwarriors.com - atm in polish only, sorry ;p ).

torgoch

• Rakanoth
  • ME KOREAZZANGBABA ZZANG!!!!!! ME WHIRL!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 19:31:11 pm »

just like Rogh's my story starts in late 1997,when i get my first computer with 2 games: Duke nukem 3d and Diablo1. the choice was obvious. first with firends in lan games ,then on b.net. unfortunately the bills was so high,that my mother wanted to kill me when i was sleeping:P i stopped for some time,but i came back before d2 release.
my start in d2 was very hard cause of old comp (166mmx/48ram) and modem 56k. bills was very high,the only greater thing was lag!!! the only way to play on europe were paid gates like "hellgate". serious playing starts for me since lod release. i bought new awsome machine and new uber hot SDI from TPSA :P few months later i won BvB in first edition of BoS tournament. thats the moment when legend was born :D to be not falsely modest,from this time over the next two years i was one of the best barb players on this realm, killing anyone,anywhere,anytime.
not long after great controversies during the second edition of BoS i sold most of my items for cash,rest of it was gone with ban wave,so i quit. with release of 1.10 i was back with new hopes,but when i noticed that theres no such thing like pvp on ladder, i quit for good. few years later i started to play hccl,and im plying it to this day

GuN

• Imp
  • IMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 20:14:35 pm »

Well i played Diablo I only some months before the release of Diablo II. I loved the scary feeling when you entered the cathedral in tristram. "Freeesh meet" ... how awsome was that, please ? After playing through the game several times i bought Diablo II. Didnt even played single player. My glowing 56k modem was the light in the night....and the bill at the end was just OMG. After that extreme moment, i took a break and started a comeback with my friend Kay as we studied together at the university. This was definatly the overkill. We played hours and hours together and after some months joined IMP. PvP wise ive started with Level 9. Somehow i loved it. Switched to BvB ofc later on or played my nub nec.
Diablo II and especially alot of people ive met in those time was/were extremly genius. I loved to chat, to talk and sometimes to pvp. Diablo II was for my self the first step into online games and somehow the beginning for the love of mmo´s.

Hamer

• D3CL Operator
  • Rakanoth
  • GoTH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 13:13:54 pm »

I haven't played D1 on CBN at all. My story with the online Diablo games started with D2. I remember the great review of Diablo 2 in CD-ACTION magazine, this really made me to get interested into this game. Unfortunately at that time I didnt have a broadband internet connection and I was playing only in internet cafes, which was generating substantial costs. Everything has changed with the release of LOD at that time I bought new PC and had fairly good internet connection (i believe it was 512kbs or 1mb). The biggest impact on my future PvP career had the meeting with Maruader=GoTH=. I think we met at some public MF game and somehow began our friendship which led to me joining GoTH clan (some time later i became the vice-leader of the clan and while Maruader wasn't playing I was the acting leader). I recall that the 1.09 CBN times of D2 were the best of my whole career. There were big clan wars in which we participated, never lost any, great tournaments like D2CL or BoS which gathered best Polish players (I believe the Polish community was the biggest single nation PvP community amongst the others) and some decent foreigners. I also recall I had a brief spell in EP/PvPEurope tournaments being pretty successful  in the AvA PvPEurope league.
As RoGh said, the release of 1.10 patch changed everything, most of us stopped playing when we realized that PvP we knew is dead. When the Angrenost Realm started its new life (sometime ago, during the mass dupe period it was purely PvM realm) as a PvP realm, most of the old Polish PvP scene moved there. It was a substitute of 1.09d CBN but never really came close to the atmosphere of our original PvP community. However I still regard this as fairly good period, after some time I eventually became an admin and with Gruby and Wimt run the 1.10+ PvP project on AR. Around that time I also came back to playing PvP at CBN in new patches. Despite I was pretty successful in those patches I actually never liked them that much as the old-school (for me of course) 1.09d.

This covers only the background of what really happened from which some events are quite memorable.
Probably some will say "tl:dr", but I'd like to read also some of others experience, especially the non-polish players. Some of them were friends of mine, I hope they'll register at our forum soon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 18:57:14 pm by Hamer »

KcU

• Kabraxis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 00:49:02 am »

A.D. 2000 I got demo version of Diablo II (from some magazine like Gambler or CD-Action), and it was love from first meet. I leveled my barb to about 18 lvl
I finished my adventure with this demo on 13 or 14 lvl ;). First meet diablo? some demo d1 from german magazine (i remember only a pack of 3 green CD, forgot the name). Never forget when I first time run it on my pc with 512KB graphic card - game run at half speed :)

Ajantis

• Administrator
  • Lucion
  • Mydło wszystko umyje
    • View Profile
    • War Masters
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 18:39:10 pm »

Hi guys! Some people might remember me as a PvP legend. Playing Diablo 2 since 1999!

:)

Spirals

• Forsaken
  • D3CL Administrator
  • Rakanoth
  • Xpk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 19:41:15 pm »

Hehe, infact it's kinda interesting to read so I'll post my story aswell yet it's far from complete.
I started playing togheter with my brother on singleplayer during classic. We didn't play really serious and our access to the internet was limited as we only had one computer in the family. This changed when LoD was released and we both got our own computer. We played LoD and had one of the first (if not the first) dutch lvl 99 barbarians. In total I made 14 lvl 99 characters, but hey - it was easy then! I joined a community called postreality but wasn't really good at the duels but made some characters for it and gradually got more experience. A close friend also started playing and togheter we did many many many mephisto and pindleskin runs - manual, mind you! It made us very rich - at one time we found the set vortex shield from pindleskin; we never before seen this (and I haven't seen much of those afterwards) - we sold it for 165 sojs. Duelling improved but Noz stopped and Euro-pvp.net was born with Rostedt and the SU crew. We played there until they stopped. Togheter with Pat and Kimi we took over the work. At that time I started playing classic again and became a member of a small clan which had existed since the begin of classic and which was sole classic. Xpk. Pat and Kimi went to WoW, I stayed with Raichoup. Raichoup stopped and I didn't have any skills whatsoever in php/sql nor anyone within the community to help decided to stop europvp. I started a new community called D2Gamers for both Lod duelling and classic duelling. In one of this communities we hosted a European Championship - those are among my best memories. We beat Poland and Portugal on our way to the finals but got defeated by Germany in the finals in a very tight match 6-5. It didn't matter to me - it never did aslong as the duels were good. In 1.09 I was mainly playing sorceress and amazon but later I played amazon mainly. This is why I miss amazon so much in d3 and am not liking the DH as replacement . This lasted some time when some people  decided to restart postreality - this split the lod community totally and I decided to focus on classic instead. I openend up D2Classic and with that my story ends (apart from having made several 93+ characters in classic after 1.10) sofar as the duelling goes. In classic I played barbarian and overall I have won alot of tournaments. But most important: with these duels I had alot of fun and often very close which only makes it more fun!
D2 was/is great! D3 has yet to beat it.
We turn desire to fire, electric sparks to the wire
Highered the stakes when we bought this monster life
Prevail by daring to fail, others content just to sail
Hail the future we bring.

Nukh

• Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 21:01:12 pm »

Hey.

I guess pretty much nobody but maybe Mr. Mag or Valkemen can remember my name but whatever - here it goes. :)

I started playing D2@CBN right at the release together with a few friends in a clan we decided to name Gildia IL-Vec. Back at that time we didn't have access to a non modem connections at home so we had to play from internet cafe. Considering quality of polish internet at that time it was possible to play only from midnight to about 4 or 5 AM (more or less of course). Fortunately, the paid gates like Hellgate and one more the name of which I can't remember at the moment were created so it became much easier to play@CBN. One of your guild members - Hrungr/*hess (I think that was his account name) was lucky enough to work where he had too much free time plus a normal, stable connection which resulted in the first (I think, again :))) polish player reaching 99@CBN.

Anyway, our main prioryty as a guild has always been PvP so we tried to participate in most of our polish tournaments - with random luck and success I guess. :) As the time has passed I came up to a dude named Noz - it was around the time when PostReality was being created. I really liked their rules and attitude when at the same time and I really didn't like the polish scene where Marian's FC were starting to reign (nothing personal - I've always like them :))). Also, I was against dupe'ing so it was kinda annoying to PvP because the gear difference has started to become noticable.

Anyway, after a while I started playing MMORPGs (namely EverQuest) and it was pretty much the end of my D2 time. I was so amazed to play a game that is being constantly patched/fixed, the devs were actually listening (at least it looked like this at that time) to the community and no one was running in duped stuff. :) It was a really nice change from D2 which has became a hackfest. :/

It's really cool to see some old clans still around - I think I remember AMZ, GoTH, GoD, HW, NOT, SoD and WM from the time I used to play D2.

Glasgow

• Imp
    • View Profile
    • Najemnicy z Ognistej Twierdzy
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:03 am »

Greetings Carnal !

I still remember your nick my benefactor :) Same as Bambatu-SOD you helped me to gear up my 1st CBN char the amazon - Anathris-NOT :) Just like you guys mentioned, those modem days were really painfull - especially for parrent bills :)

But my adventure with diablo universe started few years before with my 1st diablo Clan - Death Riders Clan -DRC- and mate called Ranger who were our leader. As far as i remember we had a friendly coalition with SoD (Soldiers of Doom), there was a huge bloody mess arround on BN, and some clan names like KGB, KoS, DM, ZA - vonsu popraw mnie jesli cos sknocilem :D

The d2 period was kewl untill memorable massive dupe'wave @ jan 2002. I remember clan wars vs Magic & Sword (without Marian & Stonka), WHG (Ciezki), LT and others... The funny thing is after that i had a pleasure to meet some of them In Real Life. D2CL: http://realm.angrenost.org/d2cl/index.php?id=d2cl-his&his=d2cl2-fin Anyway our clan -NOT (Najemnicy z Ognistej Twierdzy) have a 12 ANNIVERSARY TODAY. The rest like hc mode, is less important :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:39:34 pm by Glasgow »

Morfinista(DM)

• Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 09:25:48 am »

I played the demo of Diablo I, from a magazine CD, at my friends place in 1997 I think, and enjoyed the game immensely. I think it was 2000 when I got a good internet connection paid by the month, not by the minute, and started enjoying the possibilities. As I found written on diabloday (by myself  :o), I started playing on battle.net in February 2001 (http://diabloday.com.pl/mordki.php).

I played a lot of D1, and I remember lots of clans, their wars, and web pages. I was one of the editors of diabloday.pl (now diabloday.com.pl), responsible for "mordki" (faces) section with pictures of players and some information about them (see link above, polish only). There’s even a short story of mine in the "story" section of diabloday. I don’t want to even try to read it.

Web pages such as diabloday, sinwar, and later klanówka were an amazing show of the polish Diablo communities energy.

I've met a lot of great people, some of them even face to face. I was a member of ZOKD until it dissolved and then of DM, until I stopped playing Diablo at all. I think it was in 2004 when I started working, and you know how it usually goes...

I'm going to spout out some heresy here. I didn't like D2 much. I only played it once or twice (through), and continued playing D1 even after LoD. That's why I don't recon anyone will remember me, even from D1, it's been so many years.

Still, I've been proven wrong on more than one occasion, so hopefully...

RoGH

• Gotrek Gurnisson
  • D3CL Administrator
  • Lucion
  • nC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »

Well, i remember your nick, but probably not from battle.net, because ive stopped playing Diablo 1 in early 2000, but maybe from klanowka.realm.pl? I loved that page and we will try to achieve something similar on our d3cl.com website, something what BNPL and then klanowka were doing.
Pages: [1] 2

BlackRain , 2006 by Crip
Diablo 3 PvP, Diablo 3 PvP

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 18 queries.